[lit-ideas] Re: U.N. Special Committee on Palestine

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:24:30 -0700

Good grief, Irene.  Militant Islam is huge.  Removing one part of it doesn't
necessarily hurt another. You'd need another argument to support that. This
isn't a zero sum prospect.  For example, if the USMC and the Army were
fighting against nation X and you removed the Army from the Battle, would
that hurt or help the USMC?  In a sense there are less fighters involved and
so removing the army can be said to hurt the U.S., but does it hurt the
USMC?  Not ruddy likely.  That is the sense in which I referred to the
removal of Saddam as hurting Militant Islam.  He was looked up to by many
Islamists.  He was one of their heroes.  He challenged the US and pursued
pan-Arabian ambitions.  It was a blow to Militant Islam that a major hero, a
major force was removed.  Was it a blow to Iran?  Not necessarily, at least
not from their standpoint, but read on.

You keep denigrating the US efforts in Iraq using only anti-American
sources.  Ahmadinejad himself said, when he was head of the Republican
guard, that the conquering of Iraq and the possibility of democracy
developing there was extremely dangerous for Iran.  If democracy caught on
in Iraq it was sure to spread and endanger their entire revolution.  For
that reason Iran has opposed the efforts to inculcate democracy in Iraq, as
has Al Quaeda, as have Islamists everywhere, and as have Leftists
everywhere.  It is a life and death struggle for Militant Islam.  They dare
not let democracy succeed in Iraq.

The suicidal self-destructive views of the Left cause it to oppose democracy
in Iraq.  They want the US to abandon Iraq so it can revert to some sort of
authoritarian rule after a civil war.  They want the US out so that militant
Islamic organizations can exert greater influence.  They want the US out so
that they can claim that democracy is a hopeless trick of the West and that
only a government like the Islamic Republic in Iran should be emulated.

After thinking it over I've decided to convert to Irene's viewpoint and
support the Left.  Let them win.  Let them get the US out of Iraq and
Islamism in.  Let Iran get atomic weapons.  For if the Left gets all it
wants then we shall have the "war war war" that I've been hoping for.  If on
the other hand we were to support democracy in Iraq and stay there until it
succeeds then it would be extremely damaging to Islamism, especially Iran
and we should probably not have a war because Iran would have to worry about
all the Iranians wanting democracy just like the nation next door, and I
would miss out on my war war war.  How boring!

Lawrence