[lit-ideas] Re: U.N. Special Committee on Palestine

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:46:34 -0400

Among others, you quote on 7/20/06:

"Prior to our invasion of Iraq, I discussed Sandra Mackey?s book.  She
argued that Saddam kept the Shiites and Kurds dominated with domestic
terror and that if we conquered it that would be our greatest challenge --
to create something that would work as well.  She argued that the Shiites
might take the opportunity to get even for the years of Saddam?s tyrannical
abuse.  Iraq was the shame of the Middle east and also, according to Paul
Berman, the shame of Liberals who didn't support his removal.  Yes, the
Sunni?s are the resurgents.  Yes, they did much better when Saddam was
running things.  Yes, they would like to be in control again.  Yes, some of
them feel they have nothing to lose by fighting on.  Yes, many of them are
happy Al Quaeda is helping them. All this is well known.  Nevertheless,
Saddam was a major force in Militant Islam.  For many reasons he was a
prominent player.  Removing Saddam was a blow to Militant Islam."

Removing Saddam was a blow to Militant Islam?  Therefore, we hurt Iran by
it, yes?

From the 21st:  "You've got to get inside a twisted Leftist viewpoint and
then further twist something I said to see the humor in that, Omar.  It
took me several seconds. Only a Leftist would say that Bush was as bad for
the U.S. as Hamas was for Israel.  Bush has been in the vanguard of the
fight against Militant Islam so of course (according to Leftist and
Islamist party lines) he is a disaster, but Conservatives don't have that
problem with him.  They wonder if he is doing enough to fight militant
Islam.  Some of them don't like all of his Social policies but that?s
another subject."

Aside from the abbreviated effort in Afghanistan, Bush's war on terror is
nearly entirely in having removed Saddam from power and opened up hell.
You say that Bush has been in the vanguard of the fight against Militant
Islam.  Which of his actions are you specifically referring to?   It's
pretty widely accepted now that Bush's foreign policies have been
catastrophic, especially those in the M.E.  What is your position on the
war in Iraq and Saddam's removal from power?  If the mighty U.S. removing
Saddam from power was such a blow to Militant Islam, why is Hezbollah not
shaking in its boots, and why is there not even an inch of progress toward
peace in the M.E.?