[lit-ideas] Re: U.N. Special Committee on Palestine

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:42:55 -0700

Omar,

I still don't see your point which I understood to be that the Jews had
deported a large number of Arabs prior to the May invasion by the Arabs.
This article does not support that point as far as I can see.  The sentence
that precedes the one you quote indicates it was the Arabs that caused the
100,000 to flee: The  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Liberation_Army>
Arab Liberation Army embarked on a systematic evacuation of non-combatants
from several frontier villages in order to turn them into military
strongholds (Gelber, p. 79). By the end of March 1948 around 100,000
Palestinians had fled to other parts of Palestine such as Nazareth, Nablus
and Bethlehem or had left the country altogether (Morris, p. 67) to settle
in  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transjordan> Transjordan or
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt> Egypt."

At the top of the article is a warning:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Emblem-important.svg>  The neutrality
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NPOV_dispute>  and factual accuracy
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Accuracy_dispute>  of this article
is disputed.

Please see the relevant discussion on the talk page
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Palestinian_exodus> .

Those disputing the article seem to find that it favors Arabs at the expense
of accuracy and completeness.  If I were feeling more ambitious I would read
the long scholarly dispute (the back and forth arguments) from the talk
archive:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Palestinian_exodus#Neutrality_of_this_arti
cle_is_disputed

Lawrence

That's because you didn't check the source. "By the

end of March 1948 around 100,000 Palestinians had fled

to other parts of Palestine such as Nazareth, Nablus

and Bethlehem or had left the country altogether

(Morris, p. 67) to settle in Transjordan or Egypt."

Further 250 - 300 000 have become refugees between

April 1948 and June 1948.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_exodus

http://mail.yahoo.com

GIF image