[lit-ideas] Re: On Names and Respect

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 19:36:29 +0000 (GMT)

I find I did indeed say that, though not immediately.  In a response to your
response to my querying your

> And one from me via Onora on why being a Scrooge is not

I said

>Because you were the one who used a first name. Of course you could know >her,
>that is, have met her and also feel able to call her by her first >name. But
>as I suspected, you were simply following your usual rather >sexist 'call a
>woman by her first name' habit, as in 'Hannah' >for '(Hannah) Arendt'.

context here:

//www.freelists.org/post/lit-ideas/A-gift-to-the-List-on-this-Christmas-Day,6

It took four searches to find this, The first unearthed your -- to me --

> I would have said that your remark is terribly sexist and,
hence, politically
> incorrect, but with all the recent scholarship into biological
differences
> between our two kinds of brains, what does "political
incorrectness" mean
> anymore?

from 2006, in

//www.freelists.org/post/lit-ideas/A-serious-inquiry-Hannah,9

my apologies to the List for forgetting I'd said

>But as I suspected, you were simply following your usual rather >sexist 'call
>a woman by her first name' habit, as in 'Hannah' >for '(Hannah) Arendt'.

> I very much wish to have this matter settled asap, not only
> for the sake of my
> own personal and professional reputation, but for all
> others in this list who
> risk becoming innocent victims of thoughtless accusations
> of vice and baseless
> assessments of our character. Some accusations are simply
> hurtful; others bear
> the potential of being distinctly harmful.

I take it that settles the matter

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK