[lit-ideas] Re: On Names and Respect

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 23:21:51 +0700

Donal:

"Clear quotations from your posts were provided that refuted your
denial of a position I ascribed to you."

Better job, here.  Though baiting me would be even more effective if
you provided the actual quotations.  The vagueness of 'were provided'
doesn't help.  You would be better served providing a couple of my
quotes and hoping that I react to your characterization of them.

Donal:

"The hypothesis here is some people have an almost pathological
aversion to admitting their mistakes even when they are clear-cut.

Not so good here.  Baiting works best with insinuation and
implication.  You want to tease and tempt a response.  The
absoluteness of 'pathological' and 'clear-cut' doesn't encourage me to
answer those claims.  And the whole point of baiting is to get the
other person to follow your lead.  Hence the name 'troll'.  Donal is
obviously not a fisherman.

The other problem Donal faces is that I am working on a Kant paper so
not really inclined to delve back into Wittgenstein.  That is just bad
timing for Donal.

But I appreciate the effort.

Sincerely,

Phil