[lit-ideas] Re: On Names and Respect

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, John Wager <jwager@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:38:40 -0230

John's confession harbours a definite note of profundity, to be sure.

I once had a student who wrote a lovely essay for her final exam on the value
of
Rawls's maximin principle for certain issues regarding the equality of
educational opportunity. Alas, my question on the final had little to do with
that topic. A great answer but to the wrong question. What would YOU do as her
professor?

Walter O.
Still cold and malcontent.

P.S. Btw, "Sheryle" managed a 65 in the course, enough to allow her to
graduate,
be certified and eligible for a school teaching position. She ended up not
going
that route however. Today she is completing a doctorate in the Philosophy of
Education / Gender Studies at a very reputable institution nicely nestled in
Bloomsbury, London. She wakes up most mornings to the sounds and sights of sheep
outside her dorm window.