[lit-ideas] Re: On Names and Respect

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 19:40:37 -0700

John McCreery wrote

    That would be a sociological or anthropological answer to a
    philosophical question.

What makes this a philosophical, as opposed to a sociological or anthropological, question?

Philosophical problems aren't solved by empirical means, e.g., weighing, measuring, performing an experiment, or by solving a mathematical equation. There's no evidence when Heidegger (to go back to an earlier discussion) said something like 'the tendency is to increasingly see the world in terms of how we use it for our own purposes,' he had empirical grounds for making what looks like an empirical generalization about (our?) beliefs and practices; yet whether there is such a tendency or not doesn't strike me as a philosophical question either.

What makes a problem or question a philosophical problem or question is itself a philosophical question.

Robert Paul