[lit-ideas] Re: On Names and Respect

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 22:43:28 +0000 (GMT)

There was a different kind of snobbery (not exactly reverse) at Manchester when
I was an undergraduate, John (and probably at Oxford too); we were advised to
say, if in doubt, 'Mr', on the grounds that Doctors wouldn't mind being called
Mr and 'Misters' would be embarrassed by 'Doctor'.  As I recall it, in practice
we said 'you'.

(I think that advice came from someone in History, where Ph.D.s were the norm.)

 Judy Evans, Cardiff