[lit-ideas] Re: On Names and Respect

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 11:39:02 +0700

Robert Paul wrote:

"There's no evidence when Heidegger (to go back to an earlier
discussion) said something like 'the tendency is to increasingly see
the world in terms of how we use it for our own purposes,' he had
empirical grounds for making what looks like an empirical
generalization about (our?) beliefs and practices; yet whether there
is such a tendency or not doesn't strike me as a philosophical
question either."

The tendency is not a philosophical question.  The philosophical
question lies in the matter of whether this understanding constitutes
an adequate account of knowledge.  Should we be satisfied with the
kind of knowledge that informs us a certain amount of water flows
through a particular point of the Rhine and how much electricity could
be generated from that flow, or is there more to know.  Philosophers
have been talking about knowledge and these sorts of issues since
before Plato so I find it curious why Robert questions its standing as
a philosophical problem.

Robert concludes:

"What makes a problem or question a philosophical problem or question
is itself a philosophical question."

A point on which we agree.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns