[lit-ideas] Re: On Names and Respect

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:47:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 4/11/09, Walter C. Okshevsky <wokshevs@xxxxxx> wrote:

I've asked around here in the Fortress, and here are the answers:

Dave prefers to be addressed by his students as "Mr. Hume." I was a tad
hesitant
to ask Dave whether he held a doctoral degree. After all, anybody as famous in
the history of W. philosophy as he is - deservedly or not - doesn't really need
a PhD, does he? Though the question remains whether Dave would actually be
tenured in these gruelling contemporary times requiring satisfactory
performance in teaching, reasearch and service.

*It wasn't easy then, either.

"After the publication of Essays Moral and Political in 1744, Hume applied for
the Chair of Pneumatics (sic) and Moral Philosophy at the University of
Edinburgh. However, the position was given to William Cleghorn, after Edinburgh
ministers petitioned the town council not to appoint Hume due to his
atheism.[17]"

"Hume was charged with heresy, but he was defended by his young clerical
friends, who argued that—as an atheist—he was outside the Church's
jurisdiction. Despite his acquittal—and possibly due to the opposition of
Thomas Reid of Aberdeen, who that year launched a Christian critique of his
metaphysics—Hume failed to gain the Chair of Philosophy at the University of
Glasgow."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hume