[lit-ideas] Re: On Names and Respect

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 13:53:19 -0700 (PDT)

When I commenced my studies in the University of Sarajevo in 1989., the
convention was that the students addresses professors as "profesor," sometimes
followed by surname, and the professors addressed students as "kolega"
(colleague) sometimes followed by family name if they knew it. Also, "vi"
(similar to the French vous) was used on both sides. This did not always
prevent professors from being condescending, or students from being tiresome,
but generally respectful forms of address were the norm. Was it like this in
the Soviet Union ?

Later when I continued my studies in Israel, I found that the professors used
the students' first names rather freely, but it was never made very clear how
we should address them. I think most of us avoided naming most of the time,
thus getting around the address issue. Of course, vous does not exist either in
English (which we generally used in classroom) or in Hebrew (which was often
used outside the clasroom) so this wasn't an issue. However, Hebrew has
gendered forms of verbs, so when speaking to a professor in Hebrew it was
sometimes unavoidable to use gendered forms. ("Could you" is 'ata yechol' when
addressing a male but 'at yechola' when addressing a woman.)

When I was teaching university / college in China, I was sometimes bothered by
the fact that the students often used my first name rather freely (though I did
have some addressing me with 'sir', but these were few) while this was not so
with Chinese teachers / professors. They were usually addressed by their full
name (family name first, as is the Chinese custom) + 'laoshi' (teacher). On the
other hand, the Chinese teachers also addressed the students by their full name
(family name first), while I was invited to address them by 'English names'
i.e. pseudonyms such as Alice, Tracy and so on. So I arrived to the conclusion
that this this was a case of different cultural conventions being applied
rather than a form of bias to foreign teachers. However, in several cases of
students who did not wish to be addressed by 'English names' but instead wanted
me to use their full Chinese name I suggested that in that case they should use
"Mr." when addressing me.
Well, there you go.

O.K.