[lit-ideas] Re: On Names and Respect

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 17:27:41 -0230

Quoting Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>:

> At the end of class yesterday I asked my students if they had any
> thoughts about addressing their professors by their first names, and if
> the did to email me.
>
> Apparently the question of which form of address to use is a live one.
> One student sent me some links to a cartoon strip in which the
> characters discuss this. One link is to this useful chart.
>
> http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1153
>
> Robert Paul

I've asked around here in the Fortress, and here are the answers:

Dave prefers to be addressed by his students as "Mr. Hume." I was a tad
hesitant
to ask Dave whether he held a doctoral degree. After all, anybody as famous in
the history of W. philosophy as he is - deservedly or not - doesn't really need
a PhD, does he? Though the question remains whether Dave would actually be
tenured in these gruelling contemporary times requiring satisfactory
performance in teaching, reasearch and service.

Adam's sentiments inform him that "Professor Smith" is de jure. Students in his
courses at the U of Edinburgh insist that other names are more suitable ... The
final verdict from the Impartial Spectator is expected shortly.

Liz refused to answer my questions regarding the propriety of titles and
honours. She continues to insist that the entire matter of proper names is
otiose given extant entrance requirements to the faculty lounges at Oxford and
Cambridge. She, like her confrere, Ms. P. Foote, continues to harbour deep
feelings of resentment and indignation due to her purportedly grossly
illegitimate relegation to the Oxford pond for purposes of smoking Havana
cigars.

From a deeply divided Fortress,

Walter O.