[lit-ideas] Re: On Names and Respect

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:03:37 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Mon, 13/4/09, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: On Names and Respect
> To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Monday, 13 April, 2009, 1:14 PM
> Donal:
>
> "I do wish though that Phi, like Jude, could recall better
> his
> attributed to him
> and so save us a rummage through the archives in order to
> revive his
> recollection."
>
> Really?  This is the best you can do?

What more would there be to say? Clear quotations from your posts were provided
that refuted your denial of a position I ascribed to you. You did not admit
your error (unlike Judith) but passed over the refutation in silence (is this a
Wittgensteinian trait?). Instead of owning up you still engage in more evasive
manoeuvres (silence is an evasive manoeuvre) as follows:

>Being the
> generous guy that I
> am, let's call this a mulligan.  I realize that
> Popperites often
> reflect some of the failings of their master, and so a bit
> of patience
> and understanding are needed from those of us hoping to
> provide
> guidance.

No "guidance" is offered. The hypothesis here is some people have an almost
pathological aversion to admitting their mistakes even when they are clear-cut.
Perhaps it is they who need to take "guidance" rather than think they are in a
good position to offer it.

sincerely,