[lit-ideas] Re: It's gone quiet

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 01:54:11 -0700 (PDT)

Being completely alien to US college system and
increasingly detached from the academia on the whole,
may I ask a stupid question: why does having access to
rock star professors matter? Getting a few moments of
unattentive face time with a niche celebrity gets you
what, an autograph?

>   I've recently had
> the necessity of talking to various deans and others
> who all came around
> from behind their desks to sit on the same side as
> me.   Some even went
> on about how they didn't like sitting behind their
> desks.   It's the
> kind of thing they teach at management school.

Oh dear. I work with IT guys, literally, I had the
first team meating with about 30 other guys. Most of
them are engineers or computer scientists, and they
didn't end up in their chocen field because of their
outgoing personality. So when they become managers,
they are inevitably sent to some kind of sozialition
training. I suspect the same as true for quite a few
deans.

The problem is that being bright they learn the
personal management stuff too well, and practice it
religiously. For example, sitting at the same side of
a desk ought to be a subtle hint, making a number out
of it is mutually embarassing.

I once had a colleague, propably armed with the
lessong he learned in some non-verbal communication
course, remark to me that I shouldn't have leaned my
head against my left hand in a meeting because it
makes it seem like I am bored. I snapped back that I
was bored, and if you were the one presenting wouldn't
you rather know that you are putting your audience to
sleep so you can do something to it?

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland

OMG, Sweet deal for Yahoo! users/friends:Get A Month of Blockbuster Total
Access, No Cost. W00t