[lit-ideas] Re: It's gone quiet

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 00:16:09 -0400

I suspect it's one of those things that goes around. I've recently had the necessity of talking to various deans and others who all came around from behind their desks to sit on the same side as me. Some even went on about how they didn't like sitting behind their desks. It's the kind of thing they teach at management school. The kind of thing that's supposed to put me at ease, but really makes my toes curl. Damn psychology for pimping itself out to the highest bidder. (That's what I tell my husband....and who have the philosophers and historians hurt?).

Ursula
not sure which soapbox she's on today....

David Ritchie wrote:

Does anyone know the history of walking backwards? Where did it start? How did it become the universal norm of college visits?