[lit-ideas] Re: It's gone quiet

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 08:32:39 -0700

On Apr 1, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Ursula Stange wrote:

Looking far, far into the future for David and his daughter but coming up next month for me. What's a good graduation present these days for a daughter getting her PhD in pure math who doesn't like possessions

The autobiography of Zerah Colburn, a better copy than this one, or some such text?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zerah-Colburn-1839-Math-Prodigy-Bio-old-full- leather_W0QQitemZ160208094306QQihZ006QQcategoryZ29223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZ WD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

A good painting or print?

An antique dentist's chair?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Really-cool-VINTAGE-ANTIQUE-Dentist-chair-for- Dentists_W0QQitemZ250214937681QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4066QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZ WD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Now wouldn't that make office hours fun..."Have a seat in the chair and describe the problem you're having with my course."

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon