[lit-ideas] Re: It's gone quiet

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:14:38 +0900

For what it's worth, my most successful present last year was a Bose Sound
Dock and an iPod Classic with 160 GB  of storage. My wife had great fun
putting all of our CDs into the iPod, and the Sound Dock not only sounds
great; it sits discretely on top of a desk taking up a lot less room and
making a less intrusive statement than our old stereo gear. Yes, it is
possessions. But it has a discrete elegance that even someone who is into
living simply can love.
Just a thought.

John

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 4:14 AM, Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looking far, far into the future for David and his daughter but coming
> up next month for me.
> What's a good graduation present these days for a daughter getting her
> PhD in pure math who doesn't like possessions, doesn't want to own a lot
> of stuff that has to be schlepped around, loves biking but already owns
> three bikes, doesn't want to own a car, is going to be teaching at
> Harvard, living outside Cambridge.    Many years ago (many, many) a nice
> red-leather set of the Harvard Classics might have been nice, but who
> needs that now?    I've wracked my brain for weeks, but can't think of
> anything both she and I would like.
>
> And David, you think you've got problems....
>
> Ursula
> (so I stuck in a brag...so sue me....)

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN