[lit-ideas] Re: It's gone quiet

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 17:45:44 -0230

I, and only I, grade my students' papers. I've never had the luxury of "office
hours." I regularly meet with students in my office to discuss their progress
on their term-papers. For any 3 credit hour, 36 hour contact course I teach, I
spend approx. 24 more hours in my office with students. (Note that "office
hours" can be filfilled despite the complete absence of any student coming to
see you. Diotima would not be pleased.) My only reward is the pleasure of my
students' company as we pursue philosophical matters of intrinsic educational
worth to their personal well-being and professional accountability.

(OK, I occasionaly get a bottle of Oban or some cat food, or an invitation for
dinner by a harried coed having difficulties with applying Rawls's maximin
principle to a case-study in equal educational opportunity. But that's not why
I'm there.)

Walter O.
MUN