[lit-ideas] Re: It's gone quiet

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:51:14 +0100 (BST)

 The fulfillment of
> "office hours" does not
> entail actual meetings with students.

True.

> And, of course, one can always set office hours at
> times that are particularly
> inconvenient, if not impossible, for the majority of
> students to fit into their
> schedules.

One could, I suppose.  But students would still be
free to make appointments for times that were
convenient, and/or to drop in.

My simple point is that office hours are not a luxury.
  If staff only saw students -- or, as you say, did
not -- at those times, that is, if they never saw
students at other times by appointment or by dropping
in, then they would be a luxury, yes.  But they are
not a luxury in themselves.  They're hours when staff
guarantee to be in their office/s, i.e. not having
lunch, not visiting the library, not attending a
meeting or a seminar, or whatever..., waiting to see
students.  As timetables become more complex, clearly
office hours cannot be convenient for all students,
but then, they can make appointments instead.  They
can talk to a lecturer after a lecture or seminar, and
arrange a time then.  (Etc.)

That some staff abuse the office hours system does not
make office hours a luxury.

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

--- wokshevs@xxxxxx wrote:

> Still something of a free ride. The fulfillment of
> "office hours" does not
> entail actual meetings with students. I know faculty
> who spenbd most of their
> office hours playing computer chess. But, yes, they
> are technically
> "available."
>
> And, of course, one can always set office hours at
> times that are particularly
> inconvenient, if not impossible, for the majority of
> students to fit into their
> schedules.
>
> Walter O
> MUN
>

> Quoting Judith Evans <judith.evans001@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > 'Office hours' are not necessarily a 'luxury',
> they're times when staff
> > (=faculty) are guaranteed to be available to see
> students without
> > appointment.    (Obviously some staff try not to
> be available without
> > appointment except at those times.)

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
A Smarter Inbox http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html