[lit-ideas] Re: It's gone quiet

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 19:14:59 -0700 (PDT)

I wonder that she needs a gift at all?  Isn't no matter what she gets
ultimately just another piece of junk to get tired of and throw into a
landfill?  My mother once gave me some seashells for no particular reason and I
still have them.  Is it Thoreau who thought that real gifts can only be flowers
or fruits?

Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Looking far, far into the future for David and his daughter but coming
up next month for me.
What's a good graduation present these days for a daughter getting her
PhD in pure math who doesn't like possessions, doesn't want to own a lot
of stuff that has to be schlepped around, loves biking but already owns
three bikes, doesn't want to own a car, is going to be teaching at
Harvard, living outside Cambridge. Many years ago (many, many) a nice
red-leather set of the Harvard Classics might have been nice, but who
needs that now? I've wracked my brain for weeks, but can't think of
anything both she and I would like.

And David, you think you've got problems....

Ursula
(so I stuck in a brag...so sue me....)

Access, No Cost.