[lit-ideas] Re: It's gone quiet

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 20:26:09 -0700 (PDT)

I retract my comparison of TD with GLC.  GLC is just getting chemical
"fingerprints" of ingredients.  TD is actually more like scientific alchemy,
turning plastic back into oil and other things into oil.  It never caught on,
so maybe it is alchemy?  It probably costs more to do than it's worth, but it
seems to me that whatever the cost, given the garbage situation in the world,
it would be worth it, plus there would be at least a small mountain of oil in
there even after subtracting for the oil that's input into the process.  The
tar sands aren't exactly cheap to mine for oil either.

Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    I doubt that any laws of the universe are broken with this process.  Gas
liquid chromatographs (I'm sure among other instruments) were used for years to
reverse engineer products, find out what they're made of.  I did a quick search
of thermal depolymerization and there are a lot of links.  Here's one from USA
Today, 2004:

  http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2004-01-22-kantor_x.htm

  I don't understand why venture capitalists, like Al Gore even (he's with a VC
firm now), aren't pushing this.  Not economic enough I guess.

Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
  > thermal depolymerization, or converting finished products back into
> their constituent oil and other parts. Whatever happened to that
> anyway?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics was passed?

Robert Paul

Total Access, No Cost.

Access, No Cost.