[lit-ideas] Re: It's gone quiet

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:39:36 -0400

Nothing to be sorry about. I forgot to mention that she doesn't watch TV and will shortly be making more money than I ever did. I'm interested in your story of struggle, though. I broke down and bought one of those nifty large, flat monitors. It's lovely. Along with a new computer (I only ever had hand-me-downs before), I can have so much stuff open it's ludicrous (and probably counter-productive). Right now, I have 6 Firefox's open (some with twenty tabs), one PowerPoint, 3 Excel sheets (grades, don't you know...), this Thunderbird mailbox, and three Word docs. The only quibble I have with the screen is that all that hulking space the back of the old monitor used to take is now useless as I still need the monitor pulled up to the front of the shelf it's on. Annoys me unreasonably.

Be well,
Ursula

Andy wrote:
I'm sorry Ursula. I wasn't making light of your situation, just making light, that's all. Well, dim light. I think your daughter's accomplishment is extraordinary. Regarding the flat screen TV, I'm probably as unmaterialistic most of the time as your daughter is, but I admit I really wanted a flat screen TV for the longest time. Always tempered the wants against the needs and stayed true and never broke down, but wanted one anyway. Then, fortunately, I learned that plasma TV's take one and a half times the electricity of a refrigerator. What with my obsession with climate change and peak oil, that's exactly what I needed to hear to put this thing to rest. I'm proud of myself that I didn't contribute to the landfills of the world but it was a struggle straight out of the Bible. For John, I have Bose speakers on my computer and they're wonderful. I love them and they probably would make a great gift.