[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: ] Hillary Clinton Speaks Up for israel at U.N.Rally

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:39:32 -0700 (PDT)

Lawrence,

Since you have decided to oblige us with one of your
grossly simplified historical narratives, I will try
to return the favour the best I can. Islam engaged in
military conquest in the Middle Ages, as did
Christianity. Islam's conquests have generally proved
more stable (with some exceptions like Spain) than
those of the Crusaders, for reasons having to do with
better administration, more advanced civilization and
such. Islam has not historically been a more
militarized religion than Christianity, and there are
good grounds to think that it has been less so in the
last several centuries.

As for Jews, let's remember that they were expelled by
the Roman Empire originally, later most European
states have tried to expel or eradicate them at some
time or other. Their position in Islamic lands, while
not perfect, was better by far than anything they had
in Europe at the time. They were tolerated. When the
Jews arrived to Palestine, they didn't return the
favour. Also, the Jews did not simply "flea" Europe to
establish a state in Palestine, but they were planted
there by the British Empire.

Finally, as to muscling into a place where one doesn't
belong, the Americans are probably the last nation on
Earth that is entitled to find irony in that.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com