[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: ] Hillary Clinton Speaks Up for israel at U.N.Rally

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:38:32 -0400

Omar Kusturica wrote:

"I would still like to make some distinction between might and right."

The enforcement of authority, what I was talking about, need not require
might.  This is the insight, according to Kant, of the Enlightenment.
It is an insight that can be used to make moral distinctions with
regards to regimes in the Middle East.  The less a state requires the
use of might for its functioning, the greater its moral quality.

"I don't know of any state that asks those whom it rules for agreement."

In Canada, the authority of the state requires agreement in Parliament,
in the Supreme Court, between Parliament and the Supreme Court of
Canada, between Parliament and the citizenry, amongst the citizenry,
etc.  Variations, but with the same degree of agreement, can be found in
the U.S., most of Europe, and even in Israel.  The degree upon which the
functioning of a state draws on agreement can be another means of
drawing moral distinctions.  In which Middle Eastern countries do
citizens feel they have the greatest degree of participation in the
functioning of the state?

I had introduced a practical dimension to the discussion, and Omar
replied:

"I have no idea. I'm not perfect but I am not a criminal either."

In other words, the discussion doesn't suit your ideological convictions
so you evade the point.  Typical of zealots.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON