[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: ] Hillary Clinton Speaks Up for israel at U.N.Rally

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:28:16 -0700

it was pretty obvious that Saddam was
> provoking the Bush administration and that the Bush administration was
> intent on responding to...

ck: This was not at all "obvious," Phil. In fact, it's at the center of
Bush's dubious case for "preemptive" war, a position that's now in the dust.
Bush insisted that Saddam had WMDs, Saddam insisted he didn't--and you call
that "provocation" BY SADDAM? But there followed insults and threats, which
Saddam responded to in kind. Face-saving gestures. What were Saddam's
options? Bush cornered him. He denied having WMDs. Then he tried to scare
Bush off--anything to stop an invasion. He had no army to fight with, and he
left! His so-called army left, too, or surrendered! This was such a terrible
farce that the US intelligence on Iraq had to be called into question.

I'd say you have your gorillas confused. Bush muscled into Iraq. Then what?
Duh. We're a mighty gorilla growling and swiping our way pretty dumbly
through the world. Too bad Bush doesn't believe in evolution.

Carol