[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: ] Hillary Clinton Speaks Up for israel at U.N.Rally

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:51:23 -0700

thinking about how the Palestinians and
> Iraqis might go about forming good government.

ck: Funny how often moral judgments pop up. What would be a "good"
government to Iraqis and Palestinians? Theocracy? And would that government
be deemed "good" to the *majority* of women as well as men in each country?

The premise of this conversation, and of imperialist thought, has about as
much regard for autonomy as a parent determining his child's lifelong
profession. And as in a family with squalling children and bickering,
neglectful parents, the older adults set the tone. Let the US restore its
own democracy--its ailing system of checks and balances--before casting its
judgments.

We're losing our democracy here. What form of government do we think we're
exporting? It's not democracy. Hamas and Hezbollah were democratically
elected. So were Hitler and Bush. But the UK is a monarchy. Just what does
the US mean when its officials declare the desire to export democracy? Maybe
it's not democracy they're really talking about.

Carol

.