[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: ] Hillary Clinton Speaks Up for israel at U.N.Rally

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:55:26 -0400

Omar Kusturica wrote:

"I suppose that it is beside the point to say again that the Hamas
observed a unilateral cease-fire for more a year before the election,
and for several months after the election."

It is beside the point.  Hamas was the government and they chose to
provoke a military attack to which they could not respond.  Hamas had a
duty to temper its ideological commitments with the pragmatic
consideration of protecting its citizens.  They chose to follow their
ideological commitments and sacrifice the well-being of their citizens.
This is a bad government.

Omar:

"What is your opinion of the French or Yugoslav Resistance movements
during WW II?"

Non sequitor.  The discussion concerns moral judgments on
governments/states.

Omar:

"It's misleading in the case of Palestine to talk about government, good
or bad. The Hamas was elected but ..."

Following the election, there was much talk about respecting the will of
the Palestinian people.  Hamas was the elected government of the
Palestinians.  I agree they were in a tough spot, but that should have
tempered their actions.  Instead, like the scorpion, Hamas followed its
nature and failed as a government.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON