[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: ] Hillary Clinton Speaks Up for israel at U.N.Rally

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:37:14 -0700 (PDT)

--- Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In the case of the Palestinians, Hamas is elected
> and promptly provokes
> the Israeli government.  Whatever one might of the
> Israeli occupation,
> it was pretty obvious that they would go back strong
> into Gaza.

*I suppose that it is beside the point to say again
that the Hamas observed a unilateral cease-fire for
more a year before the election, and for several
months after the election. Israel imposed an economic
blockade that brought Gaza on the verge of starvation,
combined with frequent shellings of towns and
villages, and political pressure through Abbas and the
"international community".

Then
> Hamas fighters hide among the Palestinian population
> where they use the
> locals as cover for their 'resistance'.

*What is your opinion of the French or Yugoslav
Resistance movements during WW II ? They also acted in
knowledge that they would provoke reprisals toward
civilian populations. Kidnapping one Israeli soldier
would not be considered an extraordinarily provocative
act and would not necessarily be expected to produce a
response of such magnitude.

 That would
> be a bad government.A militarily weak government
that blatantly provokes an overwhelmingly
militarily-superior nation is a bad government because
it fails to do
what governments are supposed to do, that is look out
for the
well-being
of its citizens.

*It's misleading in the case of Palestine to talk
about government, good or bad. The Hamas was elected
but has very little control over the economy, has no
army, has no say in the "peace process" which is still
in the hands of the Fatah, and so on. It is still
essentially a resistance movement, not a government of
a state.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com