[iyonix-support] Re: Printing problem

  • From: John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 11:37:19 +0100

In article <21fc41244e.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 9 May 2006  Peter derwent <egroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>There should be a version supplied on the Iyonix in the Bundled
> >>directory.
> >>
> >>Ian
> >
> > Hi Ian
> >
> > Thanks for that.
> >
> > I installed SpecialFX on my Iyonix, but it has not solved the
> > problem.

> Sorry it didn't work!

> > My old files with the Drawfile header still do not print from
> > Fireworkz, so it looks as it any of these back records I want
> > to print I will have to manually alter the format of the header
> > in order to print it.

To Peter D:

Just a complete guess, which I mention only as ideas seem to be
running out on this:

I wonder whether the apparent fault in FireWorkz in handling this
DrawFile is because of an invisible object somewhere way off to one
side, which -- if the program uses that as its starting coordinates,
and uses the displayed area's x and y measurements -- could I
suppose result in it "printing" the wanted (visible) object(s) off
the paper.

One reason for thinking of this is the difficulty caused to some
programs when DrawFiles started including an invisible object at
bottom-left.  A lot of my clip-art doesn't display properly in
(e.g.) Thump for this reason -- I get just part of the image,
displaced upward and to the right.  It just might be the same effect
here.

In your situation, I'd be tempted to group the visible objects in
Draw and save selection to a new file, trying this in place of the
original file in your FireWorkz document, just to see if that solves
the printing issue.  If it does, this needs to be bug-fixed by the
FireWorkz programmer, so a bug report should then be sent to Abacus
Training in Swindon (I can provide the address / email off-list if
you need them).

As this then would be unlikely to be Iyonix-specific, it might be
best to take any follow messages on this to c.s.a.apps , but if
there is any reason to think it /might/ afflict only RISC OS 5 then
it would be worth trying on other machines to test this.  I'd be
happy to try printing your file from RISC OS 4.02, 4.40 and 3.6 if
that would be of assistance.

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 2 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!