[iyonix-support] Re: Help with 5.18 error

  • From: Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 21:24:08 +0100

In message <23efb59a52.dougjwebb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <49493.109.176.244.32.1338838929.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> co.uk>
>           david.rooke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Tried Alan's Restore516 after placing it on the hard-drive (root
>> directory). Screen message indicated a successful restore and told me to
>> re-boot which I did. I now have a screenful of vertical black, purple, red
>> and green bands with a broad black horizontal band across the top and the
>> bottom of the screen, both approximately one sixth of the screen height.

>> When I try re-booting I get as far as the "clunk" (which I think I
>> remember as being the floppy drive) after about 2 seconds but no beep.
>> There is a screen message saying "signal frequency is out of range. H:
>> 41.7KHz  V: 79.4KHz. Please change signal timing." I have an Ilyami
>> Prolite E431S monitor from Castle. It has a Menu button on the front as
>> well as contrast and brightness buttons but does not respond to any of
>> these. I am now beyond my range of competence!

>> Sending this from the Mac.

> Well I just wonder if the other person had a different videocard or
> cards in a different position as this is built on the fly with any ROM
> hence why you do a transfer ROM when you move or replace a videocard.

> I'm not sure how you get out of that without a return to Castle unless
> you can type things in blind but if you are not getting to the bleep
> then RISC OS may not even be booting fully.

You could try this if of course you have a desktop but no video

"An application, !Restorexxx (xxx is the previous rom version,
e.g. 510), is created in adfs::4.$.  To restore your previous
ROM 'blind' boot your machine, and at the desktop i.e. at end
of boot, press F12. Then type !Restore513 -restorerom and press
return. Leave your machine for at least 5 minutes before doing
anything else. If the restore was successful then on rebooting
you'll be back where you started."

Though I really do not understand why you used someone elses Restore
when you could have downloaded a fully working version of the 5.16
flash programme from the ROOL website.

https://www.riscosopen.org/content/downloads/other-zipfiles

The readme suggests it does some ROM patching as part of the flashing
so toy woudl be restoring a ROM patched for someone elses machine.

"Programming the Flash ROM is done in a five part process:

1. The new ROM Image is loaded in to memory and check summed.
2. A restore programmer is written to the hard disc root dir.
   (see below)
3. Any patching required is undertaken on the rom image.
4. The Flash ROM is erased.
5. The new ROM Image is programmed into the Flash ROM.

You will additionally be given the option to program either a Full ROM
or a Transfer ROM. The Transfer ROM is for use primarily before
swapping or installing Graphics cards"

--
See and experience the future using ARM Technology - BeagleBoard -xM,
Cortex A8 and RISC OS 5.19.