[iyonix-support] Re: Help with 5.18 error

  • From: david.rooke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 10:58:12 +0100 (BST)

> In message <49320.109.176.205.253.1338887704.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
.co.uk>
>           david.rooke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> There is no beep after the "clunk" on attempting to Boot. There is no
validation beep after either f12, VDU7
>> or f12, *BASIC, VDU7
>> or f12, CTRL G
>> or f12, *BASIC, CTRL G
>
>> I tried each of these in sequence, then again by inserting f12 *QUIT
between each attempt.

>> On trying to 'ping' the Iyonix I get "Host not found".
>
> OK suggests not getting to a point RISC OS is fully initialised.
>
> [snip]
>
>>> If you are not fully initialising RISC OS then it may have to be sent
>>>back to Castle or perhaps CJE may be able to help.
>[SNIP]
>
> I attach some details from Robert Sprowson, hopefully I've got that
correct, aka Sprow who has done some work on the RISC OS sources but
can't post here but I think given the above it may not help.

> Doug
>
> "I'm not sure that a clean download of 5.16 from the RISC OS Open
website will help recover the original state, here's why I conclude
that.

> Normal install procedure:
>
>  ROM 5.16 + knowledge of NVidia.
>  Softload 5.18 + reads NVidia info from ROM 5.16.
>  ROM 5.18 + installer reads NVidia info from ROM 5.16 (or softload,
> doesn't matter)
>
> What's happened is:
>
>  ROM 5.16 + knowledge of NVidia.
>  Softload 5.18 + reads NVidia info from ROM 5.16.
>  ROM 5.18 + installer reads NVidia info from ROM 5.16 (or softload,
> doesn't matter)
>  ROM 5.16 restore from alien NVidia, losing the original.
>
> And the attempt to recover:
>
>  ROM 5.16 + knowledge of NVidia.
>  Softload 5.18 + reads NVidia info from ROM 5.16.
>  ROM 5.18 + installer reads NVidia info from ROM 5.16 (or softload,
> doesn't matter)
>  ROM 5.16 restore from alien NVidia, losing the original.
>  Clean ROM 5.16 copies alien NVidia setup from ROM 5.16.
>  Softload 5.18 copies alien NVidia setup from ROM 5.16.
>
> The way out of this loop (I think) is to use the !Restore518 that must
have been created when the alien 5.16 was installed to get back to some
semblance of video. Then apply the clean 5.16 ROM from ROOL's webpage.

> [SNIP]
>
> Robert."

Thanks for this. Looking at this account of what happens leads me to
believe that I'm stuck. If I can't get access to the hard disc because
there hasn't been a proper Boot then I can't access the !Restore518 which
would have been created.

So it looks like a Castle job. I'll contact John Ballance - thanks to John
Williams for the e-address.

--
David Rooke