[iyonix-support] Re: Help with 5.18 error

  • From: Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 09:24:32 +0100

In message <49179.109.176.205.253.1338883644.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
.co.uk>
          david.rooke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> I think the problem you have now is as Doug suggested.
>> The !restore probably doesn't match your machine, but
>> it is booting, but not giving any usable video.
>>
>> If you have access to another RISC OS box with networking,
>> all is not lost.
>> Download 5.16 Stable (flash prog) from
>> https://www.riscosopen.org/content/downloads/other-zipfiles
>> Subsection 'ROM downloads - XScale Iyonix'
>> on to the second RISC OS box.
>>
>> Power up the Iyonix, wait a short while then press 'F12'
>> type share adfs::4.$ then press return or enter.
>>
>> The hard drive on the Iyonix should now be visible in
>> ShareFS on the second RISC OS box.
>>
>> Transfer the necessary files from the downloaded zip file
>> to the Iyonix, and then using F12 again run the Flash
>> programmer.
>>
>> Wait at least 5 minutes before restarting the Iyonix.
>>
>> This is only the bare bones, not a step by step guide,
>> of how to reflash without being able to see what you
>> are doing, so if you aren't comfortable with this level
>> of instruction, please get someone to help with the hands
>> on stuff.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Dave Lawton

> Thanks, Dave. Is anyone able to help with the above? I am in the
> Nottingham area and able to travel ....

> Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion so far.

David

First can you see if you can get a validation beep out of the machine
by doing F12 and the VDU 7 as I suggested and if you have a MAC then
you could try pinging the Iyonix from the Mac. Failing knowing how to
do the latter have a look at your router stats to see if the Iyonix is
connected to the network.

Also did you remove the softload from your Boot sequence?

All this will help decide if it is worth trying the above suggested by
Dave Lawton as if your not booting to a usable state then a second try
and a clean restore will not work.

If you are not fully initialising RISC OS then it may have to be sent
back to Castle or perhaps CJE may be able to help.

--
See and experience the future using ARM Technology - BeagleBoard -xM,
Cortex A8 and RISC OS 5.19.