[gmpi] Re: Req 76,78

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:23:23 -0500

>there is: what makes an OS better or worse (choice) are the apps that run on
>it
>
>and when someone makes you a list of what he thinks to be free alternatives
>to big windows software for linux, all you can do is laughing.

this is getting seriously annoying. this is not the place for an OS
war! you keep insisting that various "features" of windows are why
certain things are "slow" there, and people keep explaining that you
are wrong in the sense that these features do not imply slowness.

Right now, Linux is already being used in the Plugzilla and Receptor
devices, which in case you are not aware are standalone VST plugin
hosts/rackmounts. It powers the new Korg Oasys
synthesizer/workstation. It runs Digidesign's network server/sharer
product. It will run all Yamaha keyboards from later this year. It
also runs many (not all) of the most important installations of Oracle
9i, and is used by many of the largest cluster-based supercomputers
worldwide. It is not a toy.

So, no, you can't run Sonar or ProTools or Fruity on it. You can't run
Gigasampler or Rewire or Reason on it. You can't run a number of MS
apps on it.

But you have no reason to be so dismissive of it. And you have no
reason for starting an OS war when we are simply trying to correct
some of your technical claims.

Could you just get over this? Ron and others have explained that
Windows does have IPC facilities that are fast enough, and that the
issue is not about requiring separate processes for a GUI. What more
will it take you to stop going on about this?