[softwarelist] Re: .pdf creation for OvationPro

  • From: John Tytgat <John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 15:35:38 +0200

In message <c4dffa3e4f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> I do not think anyone ever mentioned "extended format PDFs" and the
> term does not make any sense. What we want is standard PDFs with CMYK
> colours. There is a standard for that called PDF-X. Maybe this is what
> you meant, but if so, then please note that PDF-X is the very opposite
> of an "extended" PDF format, it is a "limited" PDF format, i.e., it
> eXcludes certain things. Currently, we cannot generate PDF-X sensibly
> because applications cannot print CMYK colours. With ArtWorks you can
> generate files that satisfy the PDF-X constraints though ArtWorks does
> not have an PDF-X option that would enforce them.

Just to clarify this a bit more: I assume we're talking here about PDF/X-1a.
The PDF/X-3 allows colorcalibrated device independant colorspaces like e.g.
RGB tagged with an ICC profile.  RGB generation with RISC OS is not a
problem but having it tagged with a sensible profile probably requires some
sledgehammer approach as RISC OS does not have any knowledge about profiles
so one could just assume the RISC OS RGB data is always e.g. sRGB and
tag it accordingly in the PDF/X-3 file.

<URL:http://www.pdfxreport.com/faq.html> is a very informative.

John.
John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx                             ARM powered, RISC OS driven