[softwarelist] Re: .pdf creation for OvationPro

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:06:41 +0100

In message <4f3e0eb4f0richtm@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Travers <richtm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <gemini.jr51ac00cmlu502k4.ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Ray Dawson <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> It would probably be easier to add direct PDF export to OvationPro
>>> than adding direct ArtWorks export because the PDF format is well
>>> documented and it would make more sense anyway because it is a
>>> cross-platform format.

>> I thought David had indicated some time back that there would be no more
>> RISC OS specific development of OP, but it could benefit from spin-offs
>> from the Windows OP.

>> As Windows applications[1] invariably produce PDF output via a printer
>> driver, I would hazard a guess that Windows OP will never have direct PDF
>> output and therefor the RISC OS version won't either.

> As far as I can see, Open Office, Xara Extreme and Scribus all have direct
> PDF export. How it is implemented, I am not aware, but there again I don't
> need know - as far as I am concerned it is directly from the application.

Yes, and for precisely the same reasons why we want it for RISC OS
applications: Because going through the printer driver loses
information - CMYK colours for a start. So, Windows and RISC OS are
pretty similar in that respect.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx