[softwarelist] Re: .pdf creation for OvationPro

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 13:30:09 +0100

In message <aeb2f63d4f.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message of 7 Nov, "Rob Hemmings (News)" <rhnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I would far rather have direct .pdf output than to have to use the rather
>> messy solution adopted by Techwriter and I would certainly be prepared to
>> pay for such an upgrade.

> The mind boggles!

> Doing the upgrade would require:
>   [...]

> Sounds like rather a lot of man-hours, 200 is a fair guess, could easily
> be more.  A good self-employed programmer used to be able to get £300 a
> day, so this sounds like £7,500.  Perhaps 50 people will want this
> enough to pay what it costs; sounds like £150 each.

There is nothing OvationPro specific in what you wrote above, so
surely, the same reasoning would have applied to ArtWorks? Except of
course that direct PDF export from ArtWorks is an order of magnitude
more complex due to the more advanced graphical effects ArtWorks
offers. If so, I wonder how it came to be that direct PDF export for
ArtWorks was offered for £30 per copy? Your idea of 50 users being
interested seems extremely low to me. If I had not expected several
times that number of interested users in ArtWorks direct PDF export I
would not have started.

I would be surprised if fewer people were interested in Direct PDF
export from OvationPro than from ArtWorks. Actually, I think there are
far more OvationPro users around than ArtWorks users (to give you an
idea of the word processing vs. the graphics market - IIRC Impression
sold around 10 times the number of copies ArtWorks sold), plus there
has not been a chargeable upgrade for OP for a long time, so these
users are likely to be eager to upgrade. Following your rough
calculation (assuming the effort is realistic and ignoring minor
details like VAT) - in order to meet the price of £30 I charged for
ArtWorks direct PDF export you only need 250 OvationPro users who are
willing to upgrade. That does not seem at all unrealistic to me.

Of course, there is little point in such calculations because at the
end of the day it will be down to David's estimation of the required
effort and of the number of potential buyers, plus of course the
question whether he has any time to do it.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx