[softwarelist] Re: .pdf creation for OvationPro

  • From: John Cartmell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 12:10:09 +0000 (GMT)

On 09 Nov, Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <4f3ebf7613john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> John Cartmell
>           <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > NB The current save to file from printers is unsatisfactory for forgetful
> > people like myself who are always liable to overprint a ps file with
> > something intended to go elsewhere! ;-(

> True. The "To file" mechanism of !Printers is not very nice in that is
> requires the destination to be configured first. I suppose that could be
> changed in the !Printers front-end. Basically, what I would find useful
> would be another radio button that says "To file (deferred)", which would
> be like "To file" but without a writable field, so you would not specify a
> destination. Then, when printing has completed, !Printers would pop up a
> save box. That should be relatively trivial to add to !Printers.

> > A question for David/Martin: is there any possibility of having the
> > extended format pdfs that would help with producing files for commercial
> > printers?

> I do not think anyone ever mentioned "extended format PDFs" and the term
> does not make any sense. What we want is standard PDFs with CMYK colours.
> There is a standard for that called PDF-X. Maybe this is what you meant,
> but if so, then please note that PDF-X is the very opposite of an
> "extended" PDF format, it is a "limited" PDF format, i.e., it eXcludes
> certain things. Currently, we cannot generate PDF-X sensibly because
> applications cannot print CMYK colours. With ArtWorks you can generate
> files that satisfy the PDF-X constraints though ArtWorks does not have an
> PDF-X option that would enforce them.

I did mean pdf-X. My loose use of extended was because that is what it would
be for me as (AFAIK) I use none of the aspects that are forbidden in that
standard. Using it would require me to manually (or hopefully have added
automatically*, which is part of what I'm leading towards) define additional
features.

> With minor additions to the PostScript printer driver and the overall
> printing system and relatively minor updates to OvationPro that would be
> possible.

That would be so welcome! PDF/X-3?

*Being guided to a one-time setting media box, trim box, bleed box and
automatically ensuring that all fonts are embedded is the sort of thing I'm
meaning. Producing pdfs (for me) is always done under pressure of time and the
fewer variables to go wrong at that stage - the better.

--
        John Cartmell   john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      0845 006 8822 or 0161 969 9820
        Qercus magazine FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527         www.qercus.com