[softwarelist] Re: .pdf creation for OvationPro

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 11:50:42 +0000

In message <c4dffa3e4f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

which would be like "To file" but without a writable field, so you
would not specify a destination. Then, when printing has completed,
!Printers would pop up a save box. That should be relatively trivial
to add to !Printers.

All this is reminiscent of the situation on Windows, there you can print to a fixed file, or you can elect to have a Save As window appear when printing is complete. All this can be done at the printer driver level, in addition applications like OPW offer a button which makes the Save As window appear for printing.

A question for David/Martin: is there any possibility of having the extended
format pdfs that would help with producing files for commercial printers?

I believe what is on offer from the new printer driver Martin is writing is CMYK support. I don't know what other additional information he may support.

To get the current results with PostScript printing, OP has to add stuff direct to the final PostScript. Off hand I can think of CMYK sprites and irregular clipping, there are other nasty things that go on.

Acorn's attitude to all this was "never add anything direct to the printer output". I guess Martin has the option to formalise some of these additions, to not do anything that breaks them, or to upset the acorn cart.