[argyllcms] Re: Compatibility with i1 (Eye One) Display Pro 3 retail and OEM?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:24:42 +1100

Kristian Jörg wrote:
> About that. I am considering buying the PRO version of the Chromapure bundle.
> With that comes
> calibration files that corrects the already quite accurate OEM meter to even
> higher levels by using
> a refererence spectrophotometer of high quality. Those calibration files as I
> understand it is made
> to different types of displayes such as LCD, plasma, LED backlight etc. As
> advertised these
> calibration files should make the meter very accurate with all the types of
> displays that are
> covered (10+ types).

The calibration accuracy of the meter is determined mainly by two factors:
1) By how accurate the spectral sensitivity curves are that come with the
instrument 2) by how accurate the spectral response of the display is
characterised.

So unless Chromapure is doing their own instrument spectral sensitivity curve
calibration (possible, but takes some effort), they are limited to 2), which
is nice, but ultimately limited by 1) (and other factors such as instrument
stability, and the fact that it doesn't measure refresh displays quite
as well as (say) the DTP94).

> (I think the retail X-rite i1 Display Pro has a similar approach in its
> iProfiler software)

I'm not sure what you mean. They provide a set of display calibrations intended
cover a range of display technology. Hopefully X-Rite chose the particular
displays as being average representatives of each technology.

> First question. Is the Chromapure PRO bundle with extra reference calibration
> really necessary in
> practice or is it just advertising fluff?

No idea. Someone with access to suitable reference measurement facilities would
be about the only way to scientifically determine this.

> Second question. If I do purchase the PRO version, can Argyll use those
> calibration files?

Presumable yes, if they are simply .EDR files.