[argyllcms] Re: Compatibility with i1 (Eye One) Display Pro 3 retail and OEM?

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:25:09 +0100

I don't think the AutoCal really works for anybody except Derek Smith
in the introduction video. :D
At least I don't know any trusted professionals who reported success.
But I tried it only one time myself and didn't read forum reports
about this since monts, so may be it's improved with new VT30
firmwares and CalMan versions.

I think the sensor version is the easier question:
You can use the OEM i1d3 with more third-party softwares (ArgyllCMS +
both CalMan and ChromaPure).
The OEM i1d3 miss the X-Rite software only but I think it's easy to
let go when you can use ArgyllCMS (I think you would use ArgyllCMS for
PC displays anyway...)
And it's cheaper to buy as a meter+software (CM or CP) combo.

As of the software:
I would pick CalMan for the best compatibility. CalMan supports more
sensors (retail and OEM) and devices (like you sad, Panasonic AutCal
and some external video processors, etc - even if it's practically
useless for you right now...).
And it's perfect to carry out a basic "ISF-like" HDTV calibration
(both CalMan and ChromaPure is practically useless for anything else,
no edge on either sides - just my opinion...).