[argyllcms] Re: Compatibility with i1 (Eye One) Display Pro 3 retail and OEM?

  • From: Kristian Jörg <krjg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:57:17 +0100

János, Tóth F. skrev 2012-01-26 11:25:
I don't think the AutoCal really works for anybody except Derek Smith
in the introduction video. :D
At least I don't know any trusted professionals who reported success.
But I tried it only one time myself and didn't read forum reports
about this since monts, so may be it's improved with new VT30
firmwares and CalMan versions.
Oh, is it that bad. Strange since they charge such relatively high price...
Ok, good to get some info on that. It underlines my descision to skip that option.
I think the sensor version is the easier question:
You can use the OEM i1d3 with more third-party softwares (ArgyllCMS +
both CalMan and ChromaPure).
The OEM i1d3 miss the X-Rite software only but I think it's easy to
let go when you can use ArgyllCMS (I think you would use ArgyllCMS for
PC displays anyway...)
And it's cheaper to buy as a meter+software (CM or CP) combo.

As of the software:
I would pick CalMan for the best compatibility. CalMan supports more
sensors (retail and OEM) and devices (like you sad, Panasonic AutCal
and some external video processors, etc - even if it's practically
useless for you right now...).
And it's perfect to carry out a basic "ISF-like" HDTV calibration
(both CalMan and ChromaPure is practically useless for anything else,
no edge on either sides - just my opinion...).
I am a tech savvy guy and a quick learner, but still humble when I approach a new technology that I am previously unfailiar with. Like HT calibration. I have read the GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES on the curtpalme.com forum, which is an excellent introductory reading. And I have carried through a calibration with my Spyder3 and colorHCFR and got a deltaE <=3 mostly. Nonetheless the colors is still a bit off and I blame my crappy Spyder3 for that. Its is simply not up to snuff... So that was my starting point for this endeavour. Chromapure is cheaper, easier to learn (according to testers and users on forums), and still offers everything I need as far as I can tell. And it has a great community. So it seems the right choice for me. It's my gut feeling... Not to say that Calman is a bad choice either... I would have stayed with colorHCRF if it was still in active development, which it is not. And it does not support i1d3.

Argyll comes in as a saviour for the PC profiling that I also need so together is completes the puzzle.

--
Med vänlig hälsning
Kristian Jörg

Devo IT AB