[argyllcms] Re: Compatibility with i1 (Eye One) Display Pro 3 retail and OEM?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 21:23:18 +1100

Kristian Jörg wrote:
> As I understand it CP is measuring each meter individually and attaching
> individual calibration
> profiles to every "PRO" unit. They charge about £60 for it.

That's pretty vague. What sort of profiles ? What information do they contain ?

> I am still debating in my mind if it is worth the cost or not for the PRO.
> Some input from you and
> the comunity on this matter would be highly appreciated.

Without more concrete information as to what they are providing, it's impossible
to say.

> When you say the DTP94 is better for refresh displays you get me a bit
> confused. I will be
> calibrating refreshing displays only. I.e a plasma TV, a PC monitor with led
> backlight and another
> with a PVA display (for photo editing) and a Home Theater LED based
> projector. Are you saying the
> i1d3 is not a good option for these displays? Or do you by refreshing
> displays mean CRTs?

Anything with a non-constant light output is more subject to variations
due to the fact that the i1d3 isn't capable of detecting or synchronising
to the refresh period. The DTP94 is capable of this.

It's easy enough to examine this - take the same reading over and
over, and see how much it varies.

> I'm not sure what I ment either. I thought they had a standard and a pro
> offering as well.

There is the ColorMunki and the i1 display pro, but they differ only in their
speed.

>>> First question. Is the Chromapure PRO bundle with extra reference
>>> calibration really necessary in
>>> practice or is it just advertising fluff?

Given the close comparison with the Discus, I get the impression that anything
more
that a standard i1d3 + display .edr/.ccss file is probably not buying much.