[argyllcms] Re: Compatibility with i1 (Eye One) Display Pro 3 retail and OEM?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:53:31 +1100

Kristian Jörg wrote:
> Well, there is not much in depth information. But this is a fair description
> of what is going on:
> http://chromapure.com/products-d3pro.asp

Taken as read, their comments are incorrect/misleading. I have it on
very good authority that each and every i1d3 is individually calibrated
at the factory, and proof of this in examining the two devices that
I have (they have different spectral sensitivity curve calibration data).

Yes, the display calibration files are the same for each unit, but
you won't do any better than than unless you measure your
actual display spectra, and the I don't think ChromaPure
is offering to do that for you :-)

It sounds like they are adding an additional matrix like correction
to the output - ie, the same as any other colorimeter type
calibration, and not actually taking advantage of the spectral
characterisation that is the main feature of the i1d3.

I have my doubts as to how worthwhile this is, given that
it will depend on both the instrument and the display,
while the inbult i1d3 calibration separates these two
things out.

They sound like they are also supplying extra .edr files,
but it's not entirely clear.