[amayausers] Thread Breaks

  • From: Barbara Hazelrig-Mirsky <mirrig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 08:11:52 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I finally fired up the Amaya and stitched a design.  I tested the design first
on  $1.00 a yard fabric and then stitched it on the tote bag.  No problems
whatsoever.  I then attempted another design on a sweatshirt without testing
the design first.  Thread break, bobbin break, after thread break, after false
bobbin break.  I have to attribute some of the breaks to operator error and
some to the design.  On rethreading after the thread break, I didn't thread the
thing right on a couple of needles.  I also noticed that the thread seemed to
want to unravel all the time.  Perhaps the thread is defective or just old.  I
replaced the Isacord with RA - no more thread breaks for now.

With the bobbin - the thread was just about to the end when it 'broke'.  But in
a new bobbin - no go.  I just kept rethreading  - no go - false breaks.  I
cleaned the bobbin  and case. No go.  Tried a new bobbin case, very carefully
threaded it, adjusted the tension, tested it.  Finished that design and wasn't
completed happy with the stitch out.  Next design - SUCCESS!

I probably need to hoop a little tighter and use firmer backing.

The machine makes more noise that I remember from the demo.  I just oiled the
machine before using it, but I think I'll go back over it to inspect it and
check out the lubrication as well.