[amayausers] Re: Thread Breaks

  • From: "Jeff Banks" <banksje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:59:01 -0700

Russell,

 This has been thrown around for awhile. Let's talk about it. How would you
handle this? By number of stitches? How many stitches is it before a needle
goes bad? And on what type of garments? Needles on structured caps go bad
much faster than on soft knit polo shirts. Needles sewing with metallic
thread go bad faster than with a soft poly or rayon thread. Spun threads
such as spun wool or cotton are very abrasive as well. Then you have the
different types of needles, Titanium lasts longer than standard, then you
have the Teflon Coated etc. At first thought it sounds like a good idea, but
in actuality there are too many variables.

 I know I am going to hear some resistantance to my next statements, but
this is my opinion on the entire situation of maintenance. I do not like the
maintenance timers period. It takes the common sense out of maintaining your
machine. To say to oil something at a certain interval of stitches then
makes the owner/operator believe they are ok because they oil at the
interval indicated. What about a machine used 24 hours a day, 7 days a week,
(there are many in this situation), what about the humidity, the
temperature, etc. etc. etc...... The type of environment plays a big role.
Is the machine in a nice clean room, or in a warehouse with lots of dust and
heat, or what ever? What about a machine that had 1000 stitches sewn and
then it sat for 2 months, don't you think the hook at the very least should
be oiled before sewing on it? Just some thoughts to think about.

 I feel maintenance is a common sense thing. Black, white, red, and a few
other color threads are more commonly used than other colors. These needles
and mechanics including the thread feed rollers are going to get more use
than the others. They should get more attention. Many contract embroidery
houses have a regular schedule they go buy. They may stop all production 30
minutes before closing. This time is used to blow out all the hooks, oil
them, change any needle where 2 or more thread breaks happened in a day,
etc. etc. Then there may be a weekly schedule, and/or a bi-weekly schedule.
Many change all needle weekly or bi-weekly no matter what. Needles are
cheaper than the time lost fighting a bad needle on a machine that is
causing thread breaks. If you have machines that are set up to do only one
type of item, such as caps, these machines are going to require a little
more care and maintenance. Structured caps will wear a sharp needle down to
a ball type of needle quickly. If you are sewing on structured caps all day,
change needles often and at least once daily. This will improve quality and
decrease problems caused by bad needles. The buckram in a structured cap
leaves a fine dust on everything. Hooks get dirty and clogged very quickly.
Not only does oiling need to be stepped up, but cleaning of the bobbin case
increased as well. Using adhesives sprays for appliqué or tackle twill gets
things dirty quicker as well. It will clog hooks and get buggers of
adhesives on the shafts of the needles. If the spray is used in open areas
and the machines are in the same area the over spray in the air gets on
everything. Thread feed rollers may need to be cleaned more frequently and
general cleaning done more often to prevent build up on bearings in the X
Carriage assembly and other critical  places.

 I could ramble on forever, but I think you all get my point. The
maintenance timers are not the gospel, just a guide to help. Nothing is
written in stone. Do not let the maintenance timers take away from good
common sense. Set up schedules that certain routines are done on schedule,
not by stitches sewn. The schedule should be set according to what type of
goods and threads being used during that period of time. When there are
multiple machines running it is hard to stop and do maintenance on 1 of the
machines. It takes the computer away from the others during the maintenance
time. Very inconvenient to say the least. It is better to reset the timer,
and write down what schedule it is that it wants done, and then perform it
at the end of the day or shift. The machine will not have a melt down if the
20,000,000 maintenance is not done at that exact moment. The exception to
this is the oiling of the hook(s) which must be done during the busy day as
needed.

 Sorry to ramble, :)

 Jeff Banks
 Melco Embroidery Systems