[webproducers] Re: persuading a project manager that formal testing is important???

  • From: AKF <outdoorminer2002@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 05:11:48 -0700 (PDT)

--- Maia Gemmill <mgemmill@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can assure you, it is not. I've seen exactly the same
> scenario as Ari is
> describing happen over and over and over again. In my
> experience, PMs were
> often much more junior (both in terms of age and in the org
> chart) than the
> account manager, who would pressure to cut corners. The parts
> that got
> squeezed most often were testing and HTML production (design
> on the other
> hand could drag on for months while the art directors examined
> their navels
> waiting for "inspiration" to hit).

Heh heh. You summed up a lot of my experience! In my case, I had
art directors leave the (and not tell me) office so days of
design would be lost, etc.

Yes, QA and production were usually cut from my schedules as
well. To compound the issue, we had 1 (one) dedicated HTML
production resource for all key clients, yet 8 or so dedicated
designers and art directors. Things got so bad that I often did
the HTML production myself to save time and then burned double
time QAing the code I wrote at home.

> "Testing? We don't need to schedule more than a few days. We
> can always fix
> the problems after launch."

Yes, that was a common reply to my protests but just as often I
got statements like "This better be perfect!" from Account. And,
the one time when something slipped through, I got a visit from
my boss - probably one of the only times I saw him outside of
group meetings.

> Of course, you know what happens then: the client is upset
> that they got a
> crappy product, and then the account manager runs to the PM to
> scream bloody
> murder about it, when it's their own damn fault in the first
> place.

Yup! On a related note, isn't interesting how many organizations
give a PM total responsibility for a project yet seldom empowers
us to enforce schedules and tasks?

morry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

=====

Questions and comments are welcome just e-mail me, morry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx