[webproducers] Re: persuading a project manager that formal testing is important???

  • From: AKF <outdoorminer2002@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:55:32 -0700 (PDT)

You make some valid points but there are times and
organizational cultures where PM's are emasculated by the powers
that be and all of the methodology in the world can't change the
situation.

I was a PM at a big ad agency and was in charge of PMing all
work for one of their biggest clients. Unfortunately for me,
there were no safeguards in the organization's process to allow
me to do my job according to accepted practices. Even so, I was
still accountable for everything so it was my ass in the fryer
if the project got fucked.

In this particular agency, Account drove everything and I mean
EVERYTHING. PM's weren't even introduced into the process until
well after a project was already pitched and the contract
already signed. Often, I wouldn't even know about a project
until Account dropped a stack of background materials on my desk
to inform me about a conference call with the client.

Thus, I often spent just as much time trying to futz with
schedules and budgets to accomodate things like QA as well as
retro-fitting functionality that the project required as I did
actually managing the project!

I tried time and time again to change this culture by insisting
that I be involved as early as possible in a project's
life-cycle but to no avail. I was both the victim of a poor
management structure (with no real internal Champion) that
resented my prescence and that thought that PMs and other team
members were not capable of forward thinking.

Obviously, this might be an extreme example but I'm almost
positive that it's not an isolated one.

morry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

=====

Questions and comments are welcome just e-mail me, morry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx