[webproducers] Re: persuading a project manager that formal testing is important???

  • From: PeterV <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:03:16 +0200

At 09:56 PM 6/27/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>And I'll go one step further! In commercial software having the better
>product is a sure fire bet not to win.

A little story here:
I was at the dentist today. He had some funky teeth software, and he
explained me that the main reason he chose that software is that he could
automatically create reminders for his clients, thus saving many hours of
work each week.
That is exactly the kind of thing user centered design (UCD) techniques
will uncover for you, so UCD increases sales.

I am not saying that usefulness is the only important thing in selling
software, features are important as well (that's why we have featuritis:
adding useless features to software), and other things like marketing and
branding are hugely important. But I firmly believe that you can
distinguish yourself in the market by making useful and easy to use
software. Testing is crucial for that.
Peter

Questions and comments are welcome just e-mail me, morry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx