[opendtv] Re: Digital radios outstrip analogue

  • From: "Donald Koeleman" <donald.koeleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:56:52 +0100

Finally, after over a decade people are starting to buy them. But other
issues come to play resulting in more digital radio's being sold than analog
ones. I would venture that these forces are bigger than the dab appeal.
First of all, who would be buying a 'radio'. No-one buys them anymore. It's
either a receiver feeding/amplifying a audio/home entertainment system, or
its an integrated audiosystem cd-player with build-in tuner. Secondly
radio-reception devices are oblivious,  with limited need for replacement.
My impression is that by '85 the sales of radio's would have been down
considerably, already. Perhaps another issue is that Dixons and its
highstreet counterparts have gained in prominence and more traditional
electronic retailers who did sell radio's back in the day are no-longer
around to do so.

And if you would be even more of a heretic, it wouldn't be DVB-H, but one of
the Asian DMB technologies...

D.

From: INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: , INTERNET:opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
=

Date: 01/03/105 15:43 PM

RE: [opendtv] Digital radios outstrip analogue

 =

Hi, =

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4302459.stm

"Sales of digital radios have outstripped the demand for traditional sets=
 =

for the first time"
"In total more radios are currently being sold in Dixons than in 1985." =

"A century after Marconi's invention, the loud and clear message is that =

radio is still a popular format. =

Shows you what a multi carrier transmission system can do...  ;-) =

Greetings, =

-- Jeroen =

+-------------------------------+----------------------------------------=
--+
| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |=

| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |=

| Pager:    ++31.6.65133818     | Website: http://www.apptech.philips.com=
/ =

+-------------------------------+----------------------------------------=
--+