[opendtv] Re: Digital radios outstrip analogue

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:26:50 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Yes, and just exactly when do you think we'll stop
> broadcasting analog FM?

I'm just saying that you can't compare the bit rate of
a scheme that sends both digital and analog
simultaneously over the FM band (including guard bands)
with one that only sends digital.

> The system is designed so that if the digital signal
> fades below reception threshold, the receiver
> switches to analog.  No cliff edge effect.

Yes, but that is in part to counter the way lower
power ibiquity can use for the digital sidebands,
compared with what's on the primary analog channel. The
cliff effect would occur much later if the digital were
not so hampered by having to play second fiddle to the
analog stuff in the main 200 MHz FM band.

All in all, you gain little with this IBOC approach
compared with what DTT is doing. It's messy.